Coast tourism players want the region marketed as a destination of its own. The Kenyan coast accounts for over 60 per cent of all tourist arrivals.
In the meantime, hoteliers are optimistic of a better year ahead, owing to projections for the New Year.
Travellers Beach Hotel General Manager Fredie Kiuru said last year was not successful for Kenyan tourism but domestic tourism proved a hit.
“Occupancy in most hotels averaged over 60 per cent locals with the remaining 40 per cent being foreign travellers,’’ Kiuru said.
He said projection on arrivals for the New Year looks promising in spite of the march 4 General Election.
And speaking under the aegis of the giant Mombasa and Coast Tourist Association (MCTA), industry stakeholders said branding the Coast and marketing it as a sub- brand of magical Kenya would give it focus on product improvement, an increased budget and visibility.
“We already have a tested and approved brand called the Swahili Coast, which is the brand name for Coast region,’’ MCTA Executive officer Millie Odhiambo said.
By Philip Mwakio, The Standard