One person has died and 40 people admitted to hospital after eating poisonous food in dowry delivery ceremony held at Ibofye village, Kilolo district in Iringa region.
According to the information given by the Chairman of Ibofye village, Mr Godfrey Mtete, said on Saturday different villagers gathered at their villager’s house, Mr James Ngaile who prepared some food (ugali and rice with beans) and a special drink made from maize ‘togwa’ as his son’s in law family was coming to pay dowry for his daughter.
During the ceremony villagers relaxed themselves eating some food with the home made drinks until 8 pm when neighbours started to leave marking the end of ceremony.
Unfortunately in the same Saturday night things seemed to change to the ceremony when participants started to complain stomachaches and soon one of the neighbours died.
This led to the quick admission of other villagers to Ihimbo health center, Ipogolo Health Center and those who were in critical condition were referred to Iringa Regional Hospital for more treatment.
The Police Commander of Iringa Region, Michael Kamuhanda said he did not have information about the issue but would make a follow up to see the situation and take needed actions.